Mission: Help Tugende grow. We’re looking for an experienced finance professional with financial modeling and analysis skills to manage a small and growing team, contribute to strategic decisions and help represent the company externally.
How to apply: Email jobs -AT- tugendedriven.com with your CV (or resume) and cover letter. Be sure to let us know why you want to join Tugende in this capacity and why you think you’re the perfect fit for the job!
Deadline: Thursday, 7th February, 2015
Click here to view PDF of complete job posting with instructions.
Tugende helps motorcycle taxi drivers own their own motorcycles in eighteen months or less instead of renting indefinitely. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety. Across Uganda, and many other emerging markets, motorcycles help drive the economy, mitigating traffic jams and bad roads as well as offering hundreds of thousands of jobs for those with little formal education. Tugende is proving that millions of self- employed entrepreneurs can receive credit to own the equipment they use to provide for their families, even without credit histories, collateral, and in industries considered high risk by traditional lenders. Learn more about our founding and mission here and here.
Tugende means “let’s go” and both signifies our mission and is the actual phrase used when climbing on a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has grown more than 15x in the last 18 months, its CEO is a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow and Tugende has appeared in the Economist, VC4Africa, and elsewhere.
Our Director of Finance will play a major role in strategy and execution of our future growth, including expansion to new geographies and revenue streams. We currently serve over 500 customers in Kampala and another Ugandan city. We plan to expand to at least 10 locations in Uganda over the next 1-2 years and then to regional neighbors which may include Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania and South Sudan. The successful candidate will join our current team of 15 and report to the CEO.
ABOUT DIRECTOR OF FINANCE ROLE
Tugende is searching for an experienced finance professional ready to dive into a challenging environment that transforms the lives of thousands motorcycle taxi drivers in Uganda. Financial modeling and analysis skills are essential and the candidate will also manage a small and growing team, contribute to strategic decisions and help represent the company externally.
Like any small and dynamic organization, constant contributions as and where needed will be crucial, but core responsibilities will be focused in three areas:
Financial Planning and Strategy
The Director of Finance will work with the CEO to develop the company’s long term strategy and advise on key decisions to optimize financial performance and management. Specific duties will include:
- Build, continually update and refine complex financial projections and other tools to aid internal decision-making and external fundraising.
- Supervise the production of financial reports and present them both to the leadership team and board as well as potential partners and investors.
- Research and make recommendations to other members of the leadership team on when and in what form optimal new investment and financing should be sought.
- Give input on, and potentially lead, efforts to develop other performance measurement tools to track the company’s non-financial results including social impact. We will be implementing a SalesForce based data management system and intend to improve our data tracking and analysis capabilities to improve decisions, show rigorous impact measurement and better serve our customers.
The Director of Finance will take responsibility for the management of all internal financial aspects of the company with an eye to creating a streamlined system and teaching and empowering less experienced colleagues.
- Supervise day to day bookkeeping and strengthen internal financial management systems and controls.
- Serve as the lead contact with payment processing and financial software partners.
- Provide oversight for procurement of motorcycles and other company goods.
- Ensure appropriate insurance coverage for the business and explore creative ways to increase insurance for our customers.
Portfolio Analysis and Risk Management
Though our financial products are technically leases, not loans, the Director of Finance will lead efforts to evaluate and manage the outstanding portfolio as well as compliance with legal and regulatory obligations.
- Track and present performance metrics similar to a standard financial institution (repayment rate, default rate, portfolio at risk).
- Ensure record keeping practices exceed requirements of auditors, government regulators and investors.
- Manage relationships with external auditors, tax advisors, tax authorities and our legal counsel (with regardto financial matters).
- Explore options to better analyse credit ratings/scores for our applicants and customers, including by leading partnerships with other players and evaluating potential for developing an in-house score and testing it with our own data.
ABOUT THE CANDIDATE
Our ideal candidate is a socially minded professional excited to use skills from the corporate world to make a sustainable and financially viable social impact. He or she will have a creative, entrepreneurial and resilient temperament, with the work background to hit the ground running and the desire to grow his or her own skills and knowledge alongside the success of teammates and the company as a whole.
- Willingness to ride fearlessly on the back of motorcycle taxis in urban (and possibly rural) settings.
- Firm, long-term commitment (more than 1 year) with preference for those who can show desire to grow with the company for years. This should not be a stepping stone position for you but rather an exciting opportunity to go all in and help lead a strong small organization to scale and grow/adjust your responsibilities, skills and position along the way.
- 3 years experience in financial analysis, financial management and/or accounting, with at least 1 year in an applied financial management (non-banking) sector e.g. real estate, fast-moving consumer goods.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Advanced degree a plus, but job experience and hard skills more crucial.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally AcceptedAccounting Principles.
- Knowledge of automated/manual financial and accounting reporting systems.
- trong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to take ownership of problems and use good judgment in decision-making.
- Comfort in low-income environments and ability to empathize with and gain trust from communities with which we work.
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication including effective public presentation skills and interest in representing Tugende externally.
- Leadership ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Comfort working in a highly dynamic start-up environment and ability to manage confidential information and situations with efficiency, flexibility and diplomacy.
- Ideal candidate would share the belief that market based approaches can foster sustainable development and have passion for learning, investing in individuals and rethinking microfinance conventions
- 5 years experience in financial analysis, financial management and/or accounting, with at least 1 year in anapplied financial management (non-banking) sector eg. real estate, fast-moving consumer goods.
- Experience in working across a variety of sectors (private, public, non-profit) with a track record of developing market-based solutions.
- 1-3 years of paid work experience in a developing world economy.
- Other generally useful skills might include: handling large data sets, background in and understanding oftraditional microfinance, and comfort interfacing with complex governmental bureaucracy.
- Familiarity with Uganda.
Off the charts but not expected:
- Fluency in Luganda.
- Experience working in similar lease-to-own/rent-to own modeled business.
Salary and Benefits:
Compensation will be in line with an early/growth stage social enterprise, and will be negotiable based on qualifications and experience, including the possibility of equity options. The role is located in Kampala, Uganda and will include regional health insurance and paid vacation.