Tugende is searching for an experienced accounting professional ready to dive into a challenging environment that transforms the lives of thousands motorcycle taxi drivers in Uganda (full Job Description here). He or she will have a creative, entrepreneurial and resilient temperament, with the work background to hit the ground running and the desire to grow his or her own skills and knowledge alongside the success of teammates and the company as a whole.
The ideal candidate will be a socially minded professional excited to use skills from the corporate world to make a sustainable and financially viable social impact. Lastly, the candidate will embody Tugende’s core values of empathy, integrity, teamwork, having a solution-orientation approach and be committed to personal and professional growth and improvement.
Application Deadline: December 31st, 2015
How to apply: Please send your CV and cover letter directly to the Finance Manager of Tugende Limited, Matija Kamikovski (firstname.lastname@example.org) with ‘Financial Controller Application‘ in the Subject. Be sure to let us know why you want to join Tugende in this capacity and why you think you’re the perfect fit for the job!
The successful candidate will join our current team of 36 on a full time basis. The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda and will report directly to the Finance Manager.
The Financial Controller will manage and control Tugende’s accounting operations, including:
- Managing and overseeing all accounting operations including full ledger accounting, transaction recording, and preparing periodic financial reports and budgets
- Developing and updating controls, procedures and processes
- Ensuring that reported results comply with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), Uganda legal requirements, and the direction of the Board of Directors
Accounting Department Management:
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Help develop and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures, including relevant accounting controls
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Accurately entering all accounting transactions into the designated accounting software on a timely basis and in line with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Accurately entering into the Loan Management system all transactions on a timely basis
- Execute the monthly close process, including the development and review of a Trial Balance
- Ensuring the timely payment of accounts payable including processing all incoming supplier invoices
- Work with the Operations and Field Teams to ensure the timely collections of accounts / lease receivable
- Process payroll in a timely manner
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed for both Shilling and US Dollar accounts
- Ensure that quarterly debt payments are made on a timely basis
Financial Reporting and Budgeting
- Production of complete and accurate financial reports on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis as required by management, the Board of Directors, Tugende investors, and funding agencies
- Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure Tugende’s performance
- Calculate and issue financial metrics
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
Legal and Audit Compliance
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with Ugandan government reporting requirements and tax filings (PAYE, NSSF, VAT)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or similar appropriate recognised qualification or Degree
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration
- At least three years’ experience working in the accounting function, preferably as a Financial Controller
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Knowledge of automated/manual financial and accounting reporting systems (especially QuickBooks)
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Comfort working in a highly dynamic start-up environment and ability to manage confidential information and situations with efficiency, flexibility and diplomacy
- Prepared to do all the detailed work with minimal supervision
- Proper and reliable references must be taken up to ensure that the person appointed is completely trustworthy
- Ugandan national
- Fluency in Luganda
- Experience working in similar lease-to-own / asset financing businesses
What will you gain?
Hours and compensation: This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up. Compensation will be determined based on experience and commitment
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 24 staff and growing. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.