Date Posted: 29 Sep, 2016
Date Due: 7 Oct, 2016
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to: Security and Debt Recovery Coordinator
Come and join the Tugende Team!
Tugende’s mission is helping people help themselves. If you believe, like we do, that thousands of entrepreneurs should own instead of rent the tools they use to make money, now is your chance.
Please check out the roles and requirements below and apply by 7th October.
Ideal candidates excel at customer service and embody Tugende’s core values: empathy, integrity, teamwork, solutions-oriented and always growing.
Deadline: 7 Oct 2016
How to apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV (or resume), cover letter, and academic transcript. Be sure to let us know why you want to join Tugende in this capacity and why you think you’re the perfect fit for the job! You will be applying to both positions at once.
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise that helps motorcycle taxi drivers own their motorcycles instead of renting indefinitely. Our customers take ownership through a lease-to-own payment plan and receive training, insurance and ongoing support. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety.
Tugende means “let’s go” and signifies our mission. Tugende has grown more than 6x in the last 24 months, has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow and appeared in the Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere. Learn more about our founding and mission here and here.
Starting with motorcycles, Tugende is proving that millions of self- employed entrepreneurs can receive credit to own the equipment they use to provide for their families, even without credit histories, collateral, and in industries considered high risk by traditional lenders.
Purpose: Track and resolve clients with outstanding payment issues
Key duties and responsibilities
- Follow up on payment commitments made to ensure compliance
- Monitor delayed payments and other irregularities
- Investigate all clients’ claims of financial difficulties this will include physical visits to clients or their guarantors
- Timely reports on suspected fraud or security concerns
- Enter detailed conversations notes on clients accounts
- Make reports on failed delinquent accounts to supervisor
- Support the security team with motorcycle recoveries
- Demonstrated experience with debt collection for at least 1 year
- Ability to communicate at least in 2 local languages
- Excellent negotiation, mediation and rapport-building skills
- You work hard and refuse to give up until you achieve your goals
- Great customer service skills and ability to handle clients with respect and sensitivity
- Good listening and communication skills
- Able to work within a team as well as independently without supervision
- Ability and willingness to learn how to ride a motorcycle
- Adopt and champion the values that Tugende stands for: Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions-Oriented and Always growing
Not required, but nice to have
- Field work and community development experience
Someone who does this job well, may go on to…
- Security and Debt Recovery Coordinator
- Branch Coordinator
- Operations Managers
What will you gain?
Hours and compensation
This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up. Compensation will be determined based on experience and commitment
Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 57 staff. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
Constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende
- Build knowledge of and skills at using Tugende systems (especially Salesforce)
- Build understanding of lease accounting
- Improve computer skills
- Learn new methods to work with clients and help them overcome repayment challenges
- Be informed: Stay abreast of new innovations and financial services so as to better meet customer needs
- Participate in programing: Attend career development programs organized by Tugende
- Learn how to ride a motorcycle