Date Posted: 29 Sep, 2016
Date Due: 7 Oct, 2016
Location: Kampala, Jinja and Mbarara, Uganda
Reporting to: Collections Coordinator and Credit Officer
Come and join the Tugende Team!
Tugende’s mission is helping people help themselves. If you believe, like we do, that thousands of entrepreneurs should own instead of rent the tools they use to make money, now is your chance.
Please check out the roles and requirements below and apply by 7th October.
Ideal candidates excel at customer service and embody Tugende’s core values: empathy, integrity, teamwork, solutions-oriented and always growing.
Deadline: 7 Oct 2016
How to apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV (or resume), cover letter, and academic transcript. Be sure to let us know why you want to join Tugende in this capacity and why you think you’re the perfect fit for the job! You will be applying to both positions at once.
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise that helps motorcycle taxi drivers own their motorcycles instead of renting indefinitely. Our customers take ownership through a lease-to-own payment plan and receive training, insurance and ongoing support. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety.
Tugende means “let’s go” and signifies our mission. Tugende has grown more than 6x in the last 24 months, has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow and appeared in the Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere. Learn more about our founding and mission here and here.
Starting with motorcycles, Tugende is proving that millions of self- employed entrepreneurs can receive credit to own the equipment they use to provide for their families, even without credit histories, collateral, and in industries considered high risk by traditional lenders.
Job summary: Field Technician will provide services that improve customer satisfaction, maximize customer retention and increase profitability, through repairing and maintaining company assets in good working conditions. The main responsibilities include:
- Manage all repairs, maintenance and testing of company motorcycle before disbursement, and ensure that all assets are in good working condition
- Provide technical & maintenance services and customer support during field visits or dispatches of motorcycles
- Document and share the status of company assets with relevant members of the security and operations team
- Produce timely and detailed service reports
- Make recommendations related to security and company assets to relevant members of the security and operations team based on fieldwork discoveries
- Document processes involved in work, including installation, repair and maintenance.
- Conduct other duties, such as impounding activities, office maintenance and coordinating clients, as needed.
- Build a positive relationship with customers
- Superb motorcycle service and technical skills and ability to diagnose and determine the best technical solutions from non-technical descriptions
- Great customer service skills and ability to handle clients with respect and sensitivity
- Ability to work flexible shifts and to adapt to changing work schedules
- Understanding of health and safety issues related related to motorcycle use, including electrical, mechanical and chemical risks
- Work quickly under pressure without supervision
- Be able to understand technical diagrams and manuals
- Comfortable using computers and mobile phone tools and apps
- Adopt and champion the values that Tugende stands for: Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions-Oriented and Always growing
Not required, but nice to have
- Field work and community development experience
- College diploma, ideally in engineering field
- Strong IT Skills
- Proficiency in local languages
- Possess a current driving licence
Someone who does this job well, may go on to…
- Senior Field Technician
What will you gain?
Hours and compensation
This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up. Compensation will be determined based on experience and commitment
Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 57 staff. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
Constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende
- Build knowledge of and skills at using Tugende systems (especially Salesforce)
- Build understanding of lease accounting
- Improve computer skills
- Learn new methods to work with clients and help them overcome repayment challenges
- Be informed: Stay abreast of new innovations and financial services so as to better meet customer needs
- Participate in programing: Attend career development programs organized by Tugende
- Learn how to ride a motorcycle