Date Posted: 15th Oct, 2016
Date Due: 30th Oct, 2016
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to: Chief of Staff
Come and join the Tugende Team!
Tugende’s mission is helping people help themselves. If you believe, like we do, that thousands of entrepreneurs should own instead of rent the tools they use to make money, now is your chance.
Please check out the roles and requirements below and apply by 30th October.
Ideal candidates excel at customer service and embody Tugende’s core values: empathy, integrity, teamwork, solutions-oriented and always growing.
Deadline: 30th Oct 2016
How to apply: Email email@example.com with your CV (or resume), cover letter, and academic transcript. Be sure to let us know why you want to join Tugende in this capacity and why you think you’re the perfect fit for the job! You will be applying to both positions at once.
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise that helps motorcycle taxi drivers own their motorcycles instead of renting indefinitely. Our customers take ownership through a lease-to-own payment plan and receive training, insurance and ongoing support. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety.
Tugende means “let’s go” and signifies our mission. Tugende has grown more than 6x in the last 24 months, has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow and appeared in the Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere. Learn more about our founding and mission here and here.
Starting with motorcycles, Tugende is proving that millions of self- employed entrepreneurs can receive credit to own the equipment they use to provide for their families, even without credit histories, collateral, and in industries considered high risk by traditional lenders.
Be Tugende’s customer experience leader and set the vision and strategy for this new department, while building your own team, action plan, tools, and procedures from scratch. Provide consistently excellent customer experience and promote this culture throughout the organization.
We are looking for a professional with experience growing a department from the ground up. Bonus points for experience with financial products and serving low-income clients. If you care about human journeys and want to work in a fun, fast-paced startup environment where you will be challenged and accountable for driving results, this role is for you!
What you’ll be doing
- Build a Customer Experience department from the ground up
- Set and execute the strategy, action plan, and budget to ensure customers are happy, drive repeat business, and increase lifetime value
- Establish key metrics to measure performance and communicate results
- Hire, manage and develop an all-star team to scale and deliver your strategic plan
- Build and implement tools of the trade (procedures, policies, standards, presentations, record-keeping systems, surveys…)
- Develop and implement innovations to improve the customer experience at Tugende
- Create new ways to engage clients and to receive and utilize customer feedback
- Evaluate the current customer journey to identify areas for improvement and scalable solutions
- Collect and analyze customer experience data, and report on results
- Develop and manage a scalable system and procedures to track and promptly solve customer inquiries, complaints and other feedback
- Promote a customer-focused culture among staff
- Inspire all Tugende staff to be passionate about providing a great customer experience to all applicants, clients, alumni, visitors, etc.
- Train colleagues in customer service best practices
- Demonstrate the importance of customer service to achieving business goals
- Work collaboratively with other teams to put customers first
- Partner with our Operations team to better understand client touch points and ensure customer service best practices are being implemented on the front lines
- Work with our technology and data team to develop data collections and analysis tools and reports
- Direct existing customer service functions
- Manage client feedback and communication channels (in-person, SMS campaigns, social media, email, toll free line…)
- Supervise client insurance coordination
This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the hiring and performance management of the employees within that department.
Position type and expected hours of work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m. to 3:00pm. Occasional work beyond this scope may be required as job duties demand.
- 5-10 years customer service experience in a consumer-facing business with at least 3 years of mid or senior management experience
- Success growing a department and team
- Proven track record designing, implementing, testing and improving initiatives
- Experience training and mentoring colleagues
Your skills and personal characteristics
- Exemplify Tugende’s core values: empathy, integrity, teamwork, having a solution-orientation approach and be committed to personal and professional growth and improvement.
- Love working with clients and ensuring they consistently get the best experience
- You live to make procedures more efficient
- Able to handle ambiguity and an environment that requires flexibility and being scrappy
- Calm, composed and positive attitude in a fast paced environment with multiple priorities and tight deadlines
- Equally able to work in a team as to take full ownership of a project from start to finish
- Problem solver and strategic thinker, able to back up your recommendations with data
- You never drop the ball (i.e. if you commit to doing something by a certain time, it always gets delivered by that time. If you realize this isn’t possible, you then pass the ball or ask for help, rather than drop it).
- Must have empathy for low-income clients
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact with mid and senior level leaders both internally and externally
- Comfortable in Excel and Google Drive
- Experience with Salesforce
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in marketing, business or related field. MBA a plus.
- Ability to present complex data
- Good influencing and negotiation skills
|By October 8th||Submit application to firstname.lastname@example.org: CV (or resume) and cover letter explaining your interest in Tugende and why you would be perfect for the position)|
|By October 15th||1st interview|
|By October 22nd||We will give select applicants a small trial project representative of the work associated with this position. While you will have seven days to finish your trial project, it should only take a few hours to complete.|
|By October 29th||2nd interview|
|By November 5th||Reference checks|
|By November 12th||3rd interview|
|By November 19th||Notification of decision|
What will you gain?
Hours and compensation
This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up. Compensation will be determined based on experience and commitment
Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 57 staff. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
Constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende