Date Posted: 12th December 2016
Date Due: 4th January 2017
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to: Head of Business Analytics and Research
Come and join the Tugende Team!
Tugende’s mission is helping people help themselves. If you believe, like we do, that thousands of entrepreneurs should own instead of rent the tools they use to make money, now is your chance.
Please check out the roles and requirements below and apply by the 4th of January 2017.
We are looking for an all-around Software Development Expert who has Salesforce experience and the personality to manage people, timelines, and risks. The applicant should also embody Tugende’s core values: empathy, integrity, teamwork, solutions-oriented, and always growing.
How to apply: Read the full job description and complete the attached application HERE. In your cover letter, please describe why you want to be Tugende’s IT Project Manager, and why you think you’ll be successful in this role.
Thanks for taking the time to apply. We look forward to reading your application!
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise that helps motorcycle taxi drivers in Uganda own their own motorcycles via a fair, transparent lease-to-own model. Opposed to renting indefinitely, ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety.
Across Uganda and many other emerging markets, motorcycles help drive the economy, mitigate traffic jams and bad roads, and offer hundreds of thousands of jobs for those with little formal education. Tugende is proving that millions of self-employed entrepreneurs can receive credit to own the equipment they use to provide for their families, even without credit histories, collateral, and in industries traditional lenders consider too risky.
Tugende means “let’s go!” and signifies our mission. Tugende has grown more than 15x over the past 18 months, has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, a 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, and appeared in the Guardian, BBC, the Economist, and elsewhere. Learn more about our founding and mission here and here.
The Technical Project Manager will be our first dedicated “technical guru”, injecting project management, broad technical skills, and systems development experience into our growing team. If selected, you will plan, develop, and deliver the technological systems that drive Tugende’s growth trajectory. You will also be directly responsible and own the success for a range of significant projects and systems.
We currently serve over 2,900 customers in Kampala, Jinja, Mbarara, and Mbale and plan to expand quickly over the next few years. As Tugende continues to scale, our systems must develop with our evolving needs. You will drive the specification and delivery of creative technical solutions that further our mission. When you decide we have the capacity for new product development, you’ll also drive forward-looking initiatives.
The successful candidate will join our team of 65 employees on a full-time basis. This is a cross-functional role that will collaborate with the whole organization, translating business processes into implementable software solutions.
The Ideal Candidate….
- Should not be afraid to lead from the front and get his/her hands dirty.
- Will have managed the entire lifecycle of building software solutions for businesses including analysis, coding, testing and documentation. (S)he will own Tugende’s adoption of other technology that enables us to help our customers better and faster.
- Should be ready to continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies that maximize software development efficiency. Each member of Tugende’s team should be able to actively track key information about customers and their leases and motorcycles, and understand how all functions of the business connect together.
- Will have professional experience and will apply training in information technology and computer programming to the analysis, design, modification, and maintenance of application programs, integrated systems, and other software solutions.
- Team Lead and Project Management
- Guide a team of three people: One Salesforce programmer, one system administrator, and one other programmer.
- Help develop our newly-established IT department. You will manage tasks, actively work with code, and get things done quickly so our IT systems keep up with Tugende’s aggressive but achievable growth targets.
- Take ownership of solving problems, break the solutions into manageable tasks, assign them to the right people, and ensure they’re completed within realistic timelines.
- Manage relationships with suppliers, contractors, and consultants providing external solutions.
- Apply and lead IT project management tools, such as Issue tracker, Scrum, Kanban etc.
- Mentor and train junior staff members to help with ICT support across offices.
- Management of Existing Systems
- Analyze our current, Salesforce-based system and craft front- and back-end systems to effectively meet organizational needs.
- Ensure the quality of the IT System by fixing bugs and documenting the procedures used to do so.
- Ensure our IT System is seen as a relief and not a burden to other staff members.
- Application Programming and Software Development
- Develop new software and make modifications to existing software using Apex, the AJAX toolkit, and Visualforce.
- Build data-centric, web-based tools in a cloud-based environment.
- Improve and innovate new functionality in complex, enterprise-wide systems.
- Prototype and test a variety of technical solutions that enhance productivity and demonstrate utility in a cost-effective manner.
- Evaluate current technological trends, research emerging technologies, and analyze alternative software solutions.
Position type and expected hours of work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Occasional work beyond this scope may be required as job duties demand.
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar role, managing a team in designing and implementing software, databases, and back-end systems architecture.
- Experience in Scrum, extreme programming, and agile teams.
- Demonstrated experience in the following 4 areas:
- Object-Oriented Programming: Apex or Java preferred, but C# also accepted.
- Database management and development, preferably Salesforce (SOQL or SOL)
- Web Services (REST or SOAP)
- System delivery from concept to migration to full operational launch with continual support and development.
Your skills and personal characteristics
- Exemplify Tugende’s core values: empathy, integrity, teamwork, having a solution-orientation approach and committed to personal and professional growth and improvement.
- Strong project management, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- The ability to own problems and use good judgment when making decisions.
- The ability to handle ambiguity in an environment that requires flexibility, grit, and scrappy-ness.
- Calm, composed, and positive attitude in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and tight deadlines
- You never drop the ball (i.e. if you commit to doing something by a certain time, it always gets delivered by that time. If you realize this isn’t possible, you then pass the ball or ask for help, rather than drop it).
- Ability to interact with mid and senior level leaders both internally and externally
- Fluency in a local Ugandan language.
- A Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or a related field.
- Experience handling large data sets.
- Finance/Leasing industry knowledge
What will you gain?
Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility to finance a significant asset and earn a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Hours and compensation
This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional IT-related responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up. Compensation will be determined based on experience and commitment.
Insurance and Paid-Time Off
Tugende offers IAA Platinum Health Insurance and 21 days of paid annual leave.
Constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende. We encourage our team to take on new responsibilities that are slightly out of their comfort zone, so they continue growing at a rate that corresponds with their initiative.
Constantly Tugende has an intelligent, fun, and ambitious team of 65 staff and growing. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
Please apply using this link: https://tugende.workable.com/j/501351C7FC.