Date Posted: February 6, 2017
Deadline: February 19, 2017
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Creating a conducive work environment is of utmost importance to Tugende. We are looking for a reliable and experienced Office Administrator to undertake administrative tasks for our Mbuya Headquarters.
The successful Office Administrator will play an integral role in the human resources and organizational strengths of Tugende. (S)he will be responsible for overseeing the maintenance of office systems and work space and ensuring an efficient and productive work environment for the team.
If you’re excited to work in a fast-paced startup environment where you’ll be challenged and accountable for driving results, then this is the role for you!
If you think you would be a good fit, please apply HERE by February 19th, 2017.
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise that helps motorcycle taxi drivers own their motorcycles instead of renting indefinitely. Our customers take ownership through a lease-to-own payment plan and receive training, insurance and ongoing support. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety.
Tugende means “let’s go” and signifies our mission. Tugende has grown more than 6x in the last 2 years, has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow and appeared in the Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere. Learn more about our founding and mission here and here.
Starting with motorcycles, Tugende is proving that millions of self-employed entrepreneurs can receive credit to own the equipment they use to provide for their families – even without credit histories, collateral, and in industries considered high risk by traditional lenders.
Tugende’s Core Values: 1) We have Empathy for our clients, 2) We are Solutions-Oriented, 3) We are Always Growing, 4) We have Integrity in all our decisions, and 5) We work as a Team.
What you’ll be doing
1. Office Management
- Supervise and manage the work schedules of all Office support staff (receptionist and cleaners)
- Assist the finance department with updating the asset register
- Maintain relations with service providers and subcontractors
- Manage the office layout, stationery and equipments
- Serve as the first responder to staff and clients with questions
- Manage meetings/travel arrangements for foreign staff (Visa, transport etc)
- Provide support to visitors and operations team
2. Human Resource Support
- Maintain employee files within the HR filing system
- Manage staff welfare needs such as medical insurance, breakfast, etc.
- Manage staff information in our Human Resources Information Management System
- Maintain a desirable working environment for all staff to ensure productivity and happiness
- Manage staff leave in the system
- Ensure all staff have the required work equipment and furniture
- Maintain HR databases (new hires, separations and leaves)
- Coordinate HR meetings, trainings and staff engagements (retreats, staff parties etc)
- Assist with the required documentation for the performance review process
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure a safe workplace environment without risk to health.
3. Perform other duties at request of management.
Position type and expected hours of work
This is a full-time position. Typical days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 5:30 PM (sometimes later) and one-to-two Saturdays per month from 9 a.m. to 3:00pm. Occasional work beyond this scope may be required as job duties demand.
- Proven 2 years’ experience in general office administration
Your skills and personal characteristics
- You are able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- You show initiative
- You are highly organized and flexible
- You are able to handle sensitive information professionally and confidentially
- Degree either in HR or management or business related discipline
- General knowledge of employment laws and practices
- Proficiency in 2 or more local languages
Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 86 staff and growing. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Mbuya, Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
- 21 days paid leave + 6 personal days
- Transport and food allowance
- Breakfast at office every morning
- New, spacious office with relaxing outdoor staff recreation space
- Salary negotiable, commensurate with experience